A little background explains "Kutrierish." Kurtrier (also Archbishopric and Electorate of Trier) was one of the original seven electorates of the Holy Roman Empire of the German nation. The temporal dominion of the Archbishop of Trier existed from late Carolingian period until the time of Napoleon. Its capital was Trier, residence since the 17th Century Koblenz .
The Lorraine -- Lothringen in German -- region is the only region having borders with four countries: France, Belgium, Luxembourg, and Germany. The location of Lorraine has contributed to its being seen as a strategic asset, and as the crossroads of four nations, it has played a very important role in European affairs. Hence the border markers in the murals below.
|First chapel built 1430|
New building 1792
Enlarged again 1933
|Rest-stop for barges|
|Kurtrierish - Lothringisher|
Built on the right side of the Saar River
|Kutrierish - Lothringisher|
Located on the left side of of the Saar
for the Saar River